At one time or another, everyone has had the experience of not being able to relax on the massage table. Some people can’t relax at all! In fact, the more you tell them to relax the more they tense up! Crazy huh?! So why is that? Well, I find there are many reasons people have for not being able to “relax” once they hit the table. Here are the top 10 and what you can do to nix them!
1. Thinking too much—Remedy: try to focus on one thing during the massage, it can be the music, your breathing, or following the massage therapists hands as they do the work. This action alone can become very meditative and stop those wheels from spinning!
2. OMG! I’m gonna be naked, or I’m naked under here!—Remedy: Know that every Licensed Massage Therapist is fully trained on professional draping techniques and is very aware of your modesty. Know that you are in control 100% of the time as to what areas will get massaged and un-draped. Also know that the less you are wearing the easier and less cumbersome and awkward the draping will be, and you have a better massage experience.
3. First timers anxiety. —Remedy: ASK, ASK, ASK!!! If you are not sure about something talk about it with the therapist before the massage, let them know it is your first time, we are more than happy to explain everything about what to expect.
4. What is that smell? —Remedy: Sometimes we use oils, lotions, scented candles and even incense to set a mood, or treat you with aromatherapy. If you aren’t sure you would like that, or find that during the massage it is unpleasant, speak up! We are there to make you comfortable and make sure you have a good experience!
5. This music is driving me nuts! —Remedy: As mentioned before, speak up! don’t be shy, we want to make this about you!
6. It’s going to hurt… —Remedy: Know that there are many different types of massage, a relaxation massage is not supposed to hurt at all, a deep tissue can get uncomfortable, and some serious clinical work can be downright painful. Know what you are getting and talk to your therapist about what your needs are.
7. If you’re a guy, “I might get an erection” —Remedy: ok, I had to throw this one in there, because this is one NO ONE EVER wants to talk about. But guess what, it happens and it’s a biological fact of life. It’s not a big deal, and we know it’s not a sexually driven response. We are professionals and we know it’s a physiological response to increased blood flow from the body work. We simply put a heavy blanket over the area or have you turn over and continue on with the massage, it will go away and is a temporary physiological response that doesn’t last very long.
8. I talk a lot. —Remedy: Be aware that talking a lot is the same as thinking too much, try to use your time on the table as your quiet time and focus on one thing in the moment.
9. I have body image issues. —Remedy: Know that the massage therapist has seen it all, just like your Dr. and we are not there to judge, but to treat your specific issues. We tend to view the body like a machine that needs fine tuning. So forget your “flabby belly” or “knobby knees”, we don’t care.
10. I have an injury/medical condition/allergy. —Remedy: Inform your therapist, then you can put your worries to rest. Massage therapists are very well trained in common medical conditions, allergies, injuries and medications that can make massage counter indicated.
I hope this helps shine a little light on your worries for a better massage experience! AND HELP YOU RELAX!